Stunningly beautiful church in a hidden area of Suffolk built to commemorate the college founded in the 14th century by Sir John de Wingfield.
Stunningly beautiful church in a hidden area of Suffolk founded in the 14th century by Sir John de Wingfield.
Contains three outstanding tombs of Sir John and his descendants the de la Poles, Dukes of Suffolk who wielded political power during the Wars of the Roses. John de la Pole, who died in 1491, shares a tomb with his wife Elizabeth Plantagenet, the sister of two kings – Edward IV and Richard III.
An earlier church on the site was replaced with a larger building in 1362 to house the tomb of Sir John de Wingfield, a close associate of the Black Prince. Alice Chaucer (grand-daughter of the poet Geoffrey Chaucer) extended the chancel after the death of her husband William, Duke of Suffolk, in 1450. The adjacent College of Priests became a private dwelling at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries.
Wingfield is on the Angels & Pinnacles Blue Church Heritage Trail.
St Andrew’s is open daily from 10am until 3.30pm. It has a well-stocked shop in which you can purchase items exclusive to Wingfield church.
Food and Drink Available Locally