The magnificent Suffolk church of St Edmund, once a landmark for those at sea, was built to impress. Outside note the lavish flint flush chequerwork on the east and west faces. This is a grand, showpiece church with its turreted porch and lofty tower and inside its great medieval screen and angel roof are among the best of their kind.
An earlier 13th century building stood here when Southwold was just a fishing hamlet. It was ravaged by fire and a new building was started in 1430. It was built all in one go over 60 years and the grandeur of this Suffolk church reflects the importance of the 15th century town.
Fine Victorian glass was blown out in World War II but plain glass allows more light to stream in
The Suffolk church of St Edmund, Southwold belongs to the Sole Bay Team Ministry of eight parishes in east Suffolk and the Team Rector is the Revd Simon Pitcher. The church is open for visitors every day and there is a well-stocked shop and bookstall. It is a splendid venue for musical concerts.
- The vast inscription SAncT EDMUND ORA P: NOBIS (‘Saint Edmund, pray for us’) above the great west window outside
- Sumptuous two-storied 15th century porch, one of the best in Suffolk
- The colours and carvings of the angel roof
- Jack of the clock, a mechanical 4 ft figure that used to strike his bell to mark the hours
- Medieval rood screen with its medieval paintings of angels and saints
- The stunning East window by Comper depicting St Edmund and commissioned in 1954
- The curious figures depicted in the carved elbows between the choir stalls
- A couple of steps away is a sweeping sandy beach
- The ‘lost’ city of Dunwich is minutes away by car
- Southwold Pier is a must if only for the Boardwalk Restaurant atop the waves and Tim Hunkin’s Under the Pier show
- Southwold Museum with its astonishing collection of objects, paintings, photographs, models and wildlife exhibits